The Best Back to School Tips from Real Teachers
By: Education to the Core – Emily Liscom-Owner
We polled the Education to the Core Community, and these are some of the best “Back to School” tips from real teachers all around the world! Whether you are a new teacher, or you are looking to brush up on your back to school procedures, there are takeaways for everybody! Be sure to comment if you have anything you would like to add to our growing list! When you are finished, be sure to check out Clever Classroom and Simply Kinder to see what the teachers in their communities had to say!
1. “Get organized! Your year will run so much smoother and you will feel better prepared!” -Brittany
2. “Teach & model respect to your students by giving it and expecting it to be returned. This will be a gift ALL school year.” -Stephanie M.
3. “Practice rules and expectations!” -Jessica M.
4. “Read Harry Wong’s First Days.” -Stephanie L.
5. “Teach and practice routines…Harry Wong definite must read!” – Melissa W
Find “The First Days of School” on Amazon!
6. “Definitely meaningful bell work!! Gives you time to center yourself for the day AND sets the tone.” -Tova R.
Click to see my Morning Work options!
If you teach Kinder or first grade, you are in luck! I have aligned my morning work in a meaningful way, and my students looked forward to doing it each day! It also spirals, so many of them could do the activities independently!
7. “Research positive discipline approaches. Students can be encouraged to be their best when they are corrected with love and patience. As teachers we have the opportunity to really model healthy interactions by the way we respond to their actions.” -Christina A. from Sea Bear’s Kindergarten
8. “I would say have a freezer full of premade frozen casseroles so you don’t have to worry about dinner for the month! My work friends and I got together two weeks before school resumed and made tons of dinners. It was so nice to come home and not have to think about dinner.” -Jessica L.
9. “BREATHE! It seems so simple, but so many of us are stressed to the max and just need to remember to take a moment for ourselves.” -Courtney S.
10. “Just get your kids the basics before school starts, and lots of them. Pencils, erasers, pens, paper. Your kids’ teachers will let you know about the extras they’ll need. Use those back to school sales to stock up on the things you KNOW they will need. Those four things are a must. Older kids – maybe graph paper (lots of it), scientific calculator, rulers, flash drive, markers, colored pencils, 3″ by 5″ cards. These things won’t go to waste for sure.” -Tina L.
Click the following link to read more about BACK TO SCHOOL TIPS